Saturday, February 15, 2014

{happy valentines day}

 {I know this is a little late- sorry!}

Happy Singles Awareness Day everyone!!!

For a single person (or even a not single person), it can be a bit overwhelming when it seems like everywhere you look there are things somehow related to love and valentines day.  Kelsey and I walked into Walmart a couple weeks ago and the store was covered with balloons, giant teddy bears, candy, cards, flowers, and anything else you could imagine.  We looked at each other and laughed because it was like we were being taunted for being single.  Today my social media is filled with sweet messages to loved ones, cute photos of couples, and of course my single friends complaining about the former.  I turned on the TV this morning to see all of the morning talk shows talking about valentines day- the perfect dates, the most popular love songs, the hottest celeb couples.  I just graduated from college last May and moved back to my home town, so every time I see friends I haven't seen in a while, the age old question comes up- "are you dating anyone?"  I usually answer this with a laugh and a "no, not right now."  What follows is usually one of three things- 1. Oh, it's ok, you'll find someone  2. I have someone you HAVE to meet!  You would be perfect together. (Now, don't get me wrong, I'll take all the help I can get, but my record with these types of set ups is not too good)   or 3. What happened to so-and-so?


What I'm trying to say is that sometimes it seems like the world is pressuring us to be in a relationship.  The world tells us that we need a "prince charming" to come rescue us from distress, when in reality, there is only one person who can save us from our distress. Let me tell you about him- he loves you unconditionally, will always forgive you if you ask him to, he is sinless and has no flaws... sounds amazing, right?  Well, I left something out.  He was willing to die for you.  Can you wrap your head around that? Someone who would give up his life for you? 

 His name is Jesus and He is the best valentine you could ever ask for!

 { Romans 8:38-39}
{"38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord."}

^^ did you get that? {nothing can ever separate us from God's love}

This year, I don't have a valentine in the traditional sense of the word, but I do have people who love me!  I have some really great friends (near & far), an awesome family, and most importantly, I have a valentine who is the only one who will always love me, take care of me, comfort me, and will never disappoint. 

So, even if you're single on this Valentines Day, don't be bitter... I hope you enjoyed time with your friends and family.


{shine bright}
xoxo
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment